Thursday, February 27, 2020

Rear brake packs

Two days ago(I think),
I started removing the rear brake packs.
One of the first things I noticed is, they didn't have the same springs,
and one was missing its hand brake hardware.
Both hand brake lines had been cut and ripped out,
though one brake still had the appropriate lever and the cable end attached,
while the other one had neither.

The brake on the driver side with no hand brake stuff had a heaver spring,
and less worn brake shoes.
I suspect those two facts are related.
The one on the passenger side must of taken more of the hydraulic power,
due to less resistance from its weaker spring.

Upon removing the back plate to the brake assembly, I "BORE WITNESS"
to the amazingly beautiful "made in Germany" axle bearing.
Fifty years old, and still like new.

To digress, sometime between what I mention above,
and the last post I have been prepping the frame tunnel for welding.
I am half way done, and will do more on a sunny day.
I am looking forward to doing some welding with this AC stick welder
my grandpa gave me.
Though I am feeling cautious, because I want to do a good job.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment